Friday, February 7, 2014

Parent/Teacher Conferences

Last night I had my annual Parent/Teacher Conferences.  Overall, I'm very pleased with how they went.  I've been doing this for 13 years now, so some years are better than others.  This year was one of my better years.  I didn't have to deal with any angry parents (truth be told, I usually don't) and I was lucky enough to receive some heart warming compliments from the parents of some of my students.

I generally don't look forward to conferences because it's a very long day for me.  I'm usually up at 5:30 in the morning and then don't get home until close to 9 at night.  This year was a little different since we didn't have a typical day of school due to a delayed opening...which was nice.  And, of course, I had a normal, busy day of school and then my meetings at night.  

Since I teach high school, I do not normally see more than 20 parents and last night was no different. Typically the ones I do see are the ones who are on top of their kids and usually are the parents of the better behaved, the ones who I don't really need to see.  Of course that held true last night as well.  But, hey, I can't complain.  I get to praise those students to their parents, some hear it a lot, some don't.  

I wish more parents came out to conferences, but the reality is that they do not.  So, I'm left wondering, why do we still have conferences in this technological age where we post our grades online for parents to inspect {and sometimes argue} any time they want?


0 comments:

Post a Comment